by Chad Kinsman, Artistic & Management Coordinator
Does your niece have the acting bug? Maybe your dad’s a lifelong fan of farce? Can your best friend sing every lyric of South Pacific? Chances are there’s someone in your life who can’t get enough theater – maybe it’s you! We asked our staff of theater fans and aficionados for their gift suggestions, presented here in no particular order.
Plus, because it’s that time of the year, we’ll be giving away the three gifts marked in bold type below! Just email us at email@example.com by 11am on Friday, December 20th with your own theatrical gift suggestions and you’ll be entered to win one of the prizes marked below in bold type!*
1. “I can’t, I have rehearsal” Tote Bag from Cafepress.com – the only excuse you’ll ever need.
2. 4 FlexPasses to the 2014 Season with a Playhouse Goodie Bag
3. She Loves Him CD – Playhouse alum Kate Baldwin sings songs by lyricist Sheldon Harnick
4. Jack Be Nimble: The Accidental Education of an Unintentional Director - Autobiography of Jack O’Brien, who directed our own Mark Lamos in the title role of Hamlet at San Diego’s Old Globe Theatre in 1977.
5. A historic WCP production poster – Jezebel’s Husband with Claude Rains from 1952.
6. Broadway Musicals: The 101 Greatest Shows of All Time (Revised and Updated) by Ken Bloom and Playhouse alum Frank Vlastnik
7. Fisherman's Friend - Cough Drops & Lozenges - maybe not the most romantic gift, but it is that time of the year and we know professional singers who swear by them.
8. Into the Woods libretto signed by Danielle Ferland, The Baker’s Wife in our 2012 production.
9. BIC Brite Liners– nice, thin highlighters that are perfect for highlighting lines in a script.
10. The Ultimate Playbill Binder from Playbill.com – keep your collection safe and all in one place.
*Winners will be notified at 12 noon on Friday, December 20th. Gifts will be available for pickup only at the Playhouse Box Office between 12 noon and 6pm on Friday, December 20th, and 12 noon to 6pm on Monday, December 23rd. Any gift not claimed before 6pm on the 23rd will be available after the Playhouse reopens on January 2nd. For more information, call 203.227.4177.
‘Tis the Season… to Shop Local!
by Jen McCool, Community Engagement Coordinator
This holiday season, the Playhouse encourages you to shop local and support our local businesses. We especially want to highlight our friends and neighbors who are located in Playhouse Square – right next door! When we shop and dine locally, it benefits our entire community by keeping our local economy thriving which in turn makes Westport and Fairfield County such a wonderful place to live. The Playhouse is proud to support our friends in the business community here in Westport and beyond.
Be sure to visit these great Playhouse Square merchants for your holiday needs!
Kennedy’s All-American Barber Club
Massage Envy Spa
Rick Garcia Salon
The Plumed Serpent Bridal
Berlitz Language Center
Splash of Pink
She La La
The Organic Market
Touch of Europe
Winslow Park Animal Hospital (technically Playhouse Square adjacent but a great neighbor too!)
And the Playhouse wants to give our brand new neighbors at The Granola Bar a big welcome to the neighborhood! We’ve been lucky enough to partner with o.a.t.s granola for two community events in the past couple years and are thrilled to see these ladies get their first storefront up and running. Stop in for coffee or a bite while you’re out and about doing your holiday errands and say hi!
Of course, don’t forget that the Playhouse has gift certificates available in all denominations for those theater-lovers on your list. Visit our website or stop by our Box Office Tuesday – Friday from 12pm – 6pm.
Wishing you and yours a safe and happy holiday season from all of us at the Playhouse!